Monday, March 12, 2012

After After Dark

This is the second time someone has won and chosen After Dark by Haruki Murakami, so I'll let Duncan J. of New Mexico take it away:

Duncan: My cat and I love Haruki Murakami for what I imagine to be the same reasons. From the very first novel of his we read, 'Hard-Boiled Wonderland at the End of the World' to his latest endeavor, '1Q84', we have been consistently if not surprisingly mesmerized by his eerily profound storytelling. Even for a long time after reading many of his works my cat and I had never been able to conceive the notion of a 'favorite author'.

Slowly, over time, and after continuing to read and reread Murakami's work we somewhat shamefully confessed to ourselves that we had been bested. That Murakami was and is our favorite author. That is why on April 8th, 2011 I requested my very first Breadline Book. Lost within hundreds of other entries I was overlooked for another whom I pray was truly meant to be chosen. Since that kneecap-shattering realization that with Breadline Books I would almost assuredly never be chosen, I went about my days as usual. Reading. Watching. Listening. Loving.

Then, out of nowhere, just days ago I was in my gmail account. I was notified that I had a new email and it was Breadline Books! A message to the masses, the ones proud enough to proclaim their subscription to the Breadline Books newsletter and what was more - the line was back open for business! I thought this was it. It's morning, I'm probably the only uncool person subscribed to this thing not nursing a hangover via screwdrivers and Netflix. I responded. And I won! And this is now wholly too long but THIS is why I received my FREE, BRAND NEW, BOOK FROM BREADLINE BOOKS!

Also, here's a picture of the cat I share with the love of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment