Tuesday, September 6, 2011

September Winner #2

Yes, that's right: number TWO. Number ONE has yet to claim his/her free book, so consider this your ultimatum, number ONE. You have five days. You know who you are!

So, Katie, who was second in the breadline this month, chose Pulitzer Prize winner Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. Hofstadter.




I think it's called... Crazy Stairs.

Katie says:

The reason I chose this book is because of the way it discusses how many different systems have common links between them and the author explains this by highlighting the surprising shared themes in the work and lives of logician Kurt Gödel, artist M. C. Escher, and composer Johann Sebastian Bach.

The book also covers topics such as human and artificial intelligence, computers, mathematics, and recursion; all things that I find interesting.

It seems like a pretty heavy book, but I've read that Hofstadter finds ways to make it funny and easy to follow. I think I will appreciate the way he brings Science, Art, and Music together to explain topics covered in all three and I think anyone who has an interest in Science, Art, or Music should consider looking into this book, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment